🏫 At Alkor 🏫
All of us here at Alkor have been getting into the spirit of the season with some extra cheery holiday lessons featuring Christmas carols, holiday lights, winter trivia and even briefly exploring December holidays from other cultures and religions.
“Though this year we’ll be socially distant, we’ll get through it all! Flash a masked smile behind a sneeze-guard wall, and have yourself a merry little Christmas now.”
I think my favorite activity that the students did this week was creating Santa Claus’ Naughty and Nice List. And it is with absolute certainty that I say after this year we’ve ALL made it onto Santa’s “nice” list. Our students also decided to put a few items onto Santa’s Naughty List as well… Covid 19 was first in the lineup followed quickly by a certain controversial American politician, and the Grinch himself!
# Five Ways to Have a Very Merry Covid Christmas #
Unless you are Mrs. Claus and Santa is in your covid “bubble” you probably won’t be sitting on his lap to ask for a present this year. So, with a lot of festive events canceled or postponed until 2021, what can you do to have a merry Christmas this year?
1. Take a Christmas drive to see the lights! Or go out into the mountains and enjoy the beautiful scenery from the warmth of your car.
2. Watch a virtual showing of the Nutcracker ballet! Just because you can’t go in person to the theater this year does NOT mean that you have to forgo this heartwarming tradition.
3. Turn on your virtual youtube fireplace and watch some classic Christmas time movies. My personal favorite is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989) about the Griswold family’s Christmas. But other good ones include: Home Alone (1990), The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017), Elf (2003), and Trading Places (1983) a classic Eddie Murphy film.
4. Decorate Christmas cookies!! Who doesn’t love a sweet treat during the holiday season? Bake some delicious sugar cookies and decorate them with green and red icing! If you’refeeling up for a challenge, you could even try to make Rudolph or one of Santa’s elves.
5. Sing some Christmas carols karaoke style! You’re not fooling anyone, we know you know all the lyrics to “All I Want for Christmas is You”, so why not just admit it and belt it out with Mariah Carey. Don’t worry, we won’t judge you if you can’t hit the high notes… we can’t either!
🎶 Some Covid Christmas Carols 🎶
Finally, in the holiday spirit, I wanted to share with the Alkor fam a little song that’s been getting us through this December. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” sung by Judy Garland was originally a wartime classic from the 1940s, but today we find it more relevant than ever. With its comforting and uplifting message, there is no question that this is the most perfect song to celebrate this holiday season.
Whether you listen to the original and (virtually) hug your family and friends close, or giggle at Kristen Bell’s newest rendition you can’t go wrong with this classic. I’ll just leave the Youtube links here for you to click and enjoy! :).
Original from the movie Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
Kristen Bell version starts at 1:35